10 Reasons I Love Designing in High School

I own a design business, serve as a computer consultant, volunteer at my local library, and most of all, I'm a high school student. You'd think this would get intense or even miserable at times, but I've loved every minute of it. Just to prove my point to this list-obsessed internet, here are my favorite 10 things about it.

1. I Get Summers Off

Many freelance designers remain in their career when they start their business. While this is fine and dandy, they never get a break from their careers sufficient enough to get the ball rolling. I have an entire summer to work on my business, then I can send it on "autopilot" during the school year. I have oodles of time during the summer to set up my email and phone systems, draft up some contracts and fact sheets, get things printed, and have everything ready for the school year. Then, during the winter, all I have to do is design the website for my current client.

2. I Can Do Something Fun with the Profits

While most website designers work for boring things (like house payments), I have those covered by my parents. When I make money, I buy fun things like a camera, some headphones, or more business cards. Okay, most people don't appreciate business cards like I do. But I think they're pretty fun.

3. I Can Take Classes in High School Before I Pay for College

My school offers website and graphic design classes, which is incredible, because I can learn the skills I'm interested in before I pay for them in college. This is awesome, as I can fine-tune my skills in website design in my youth, then pick another option in college. Design isn't the most stable business to be in, so if I get a degree in something else, I can have at least 2 options for careers.

4. I Look Cool and am Memorable

When a 15-year-old tells you he owns a design business, it's pretty impressive. I use that to my advantage by helping potential clients remember me. Not only am I memorable, but I have a way to introduce myself on the first day of school that isn't "I spent my summer playing video games and eating chips". I make a great first impression on the teacher, and suddenly many of my classmates are a bit intimidated by me.

Do you have another advantage? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment